This past weekend Solange Knowles taught all of us a thing or two about wedding planning and how to shine on your special day. I have been a fan of hers for years because she has always exuded an eclectic spirit and seemed very happy with herself. Her wedding day was no exception. Solange said I do to the man she loves and has dated for several years without everyone being all in her business. Happily she shared her day with the world without being ostentatious. She allowed her happiness to spill over to the streets of New Orleans and though there were no pictures of the ceremony itself, several beautiful museum worthy portraits of the happy couple and their guests have emerged online. Here’s what we all should take away from her happy day:
1) Wedding Rules Are Meant to be Broken – After thousands of years of traditional weddings, finally Solange shows us it is OK to break some rules and be free. Girls all over the US are looking at her pictures and saying WOW, look at Solo! Here’s what we know:
• She was not dressed in the traditional white gown and veil; she had a fierce cream jumpsuit with a cape that was so stylish, Olivia Pope was jealous.
• There was NO limo ride to the church; instead she and her betrothed rode sweetly decorated bicycles to the chapel.
• She was not surrounded by a gaggle of bridesmaids in identical, brightly colored dresses. Everyone was in white including the guests.
• She even eliminated the wedding march according to reports and instead had a fellow musician sing
• The ceremony spilled onto the street where the bride and groom were surrounded by lighted sparklers.
2) Be Yourself – If you learn nothing else from this post, I beg of you, learn this. Solange is not afraid to be herself! She has her own style, has her own identity, likes eclectic music and wears her hair natural. On her wedding day she did not conform to society’s expectations, but showed the world you can be a stunning bride wearing an afro, cream colored jumpsuit and dancing in the streets. As long as you are authentic, you will be beautiful.
3) Creativity is Golden – Solange showed everyone how to step outside of the box when it came to her celebration. She chose to recreate poses from Italian artist Vanessa Beecroft’s previous work for her wedding portraits. Trust me; nobody was ready for those shots. They were out of this world!
4) Love is Still a Beautiful Thing – Lately there has been this facade in the American community that marriage is old fashioned and falling in love is for suckers. I have read countless articles saying single women are not looking for love and that may be true, but when you find LOVE it’s a beautiful thing. Solange and her new husband, Alan Ferguson have shown us that you can still fall in love and it is not only great, but fun! They looked so happy in their pictures riding to the wedding and the way he looked at her on the balcony makes the coldest of hearts melt!
5) Dance Like Everyone is Watching – There was video of the ecstatic bride dancing with her new husband in the streets of New Orleans like she was the happiest woman on earth. Not to mention the video that emerged of Solo dancing with her 10 year old son, from a previous marriage, at the reception. It was one of the most adorable wedding dances I have seen and once again Mrs. Ferguson was having a ball.
I’m sure after this wedding; there will be a slew of copycat brides all over the US trying to replicate Solange’s look, style and wedding activities. They will try as hard as they can, but they will not be able to recreate this lovely ceremony. Here’s a tip ladies read this blog and pay close attention to #2! Have a wedding that celebrates you and your fiance because you can’t be Solange no matter how bad you may want to be; not even for a day.