If I were trapped inside a movie for 5 days, it would have to be Forrest Gump! I absolutely love this movie. To let you know how much I adore this film, I have visited the Bubba Gump restaurant several times and the food is just so-so. I go for the experience and I always win at trivia. Tom Hanks did such a good job bringing this character to life I have imagined myself as the title character and wondered what it would be like if Forrest was actually a black female named Lisa. Here’s how I imagined the scenario:
• As a child growing up in Greenbow, AL, Lisa would not have had braces on her legs. She would, however, have been chased by crazy rednecks who wanted to lynch her because she had a white best friend named Jenny. She developed a great skill for running…. Run Lisa, Run.
• Lisa was not allowed to go to school with Jenny. She had to walk/run the 7 miles to the colored school. There would be no friendly bus driver on her route to school.
• Lisa’s mama ran a boarding house just like Forrest’s mom and one day a young group of musicians were playing the chitlin’ circuit and stayed with the Gumps. Lisa became acquainted with the youngest member of the band whose name was Michael. He was having trouble finding a signature dance move and she began to show him some of her moves, swinging her hips to the music. Some years later that young boy became the King of Pop.
• Jenny and Lisa remained friends throughout high school and they decided to attend college together. Lisa would be one of the first African Americans to enroll in The University of Alabama. Jenny later got kicked out of school for some pictures in her school sweater just like the original movie. She tried to convince Lisa to pose as well, but Lisa’s mama would have killed her cemetery dead.
• Lisa was invited to the White House as a member of the first African Americans to enroll and attend UofA and she drank a couple of Dr. Peppers during her visit. When she came face to face with President Kennedy she was too shy to speak so she ran into his personal bathroom where she saw the picture of Marilyn Monroe.
• After 4 years of school and graduating at the top of her nursing class, Lisa was recruited by the Army to become a nurse for the injured soldiers in Vietnam. That’s where she came in contact with Lt. Dan and Bubba. Their unit was blasted with artillery and they were brought to the hospital where Lisa was serving. Lisa took care of Bubba, but he had some internal bleeding and was dying. On his death bed he told Lisa of his plans to be a shrimp boat captain and asked Lisa to promise to buy a boat and live his dream because he could not. His last words were still “I wanna go home.” Lt. Dan still had his death wish, but when he witnessed Bubba’s death he realized how foolish he was being and vowed to help Lisa run the shrimpin’ business.
• Lisa was invited to the White House as a part of her heroic service to the injured soldiers. President Johnson presented her with the Medal of Honor. Johnson whispered to her that he would like to see her in her sexy nurse’s uniform before giggling and walking away.
• While in DC she mistakenly attended a Black Panther Party Rally and ran into her best friend Jenny who was with her abusive boyfriend. Lisa got some of the Black Panthers to beat him up for hitting Jenny and started a riot. She and Jenny narrowly escaped with their lives. Jenny went back to California to live with her boyfriend.
• Lisa was invited to the White House again and she met the President of the United States again! When she met President Nixon, he refused to shake her hand because she was a black female and she became upset. Later that day she overheard the President speaking to his assistant about Watergate and deliberately ratted him out.
• Lisa is invited to tour China with a group of African American doctors and nurses and became more famous than Captain Kangaroo because of her natural hair. When she returned home there had been all sorts of visitors. The main one was from Afro Sheen who wanted to pay her $25,000 to endorse their hair products.
• Now that she had some money, Lisa made the trek to Bubba’s home town to pay her respects and make the introduction. She also went to buy a shrimp boat just like she promised. She paid $23, 978.16 for the boat. That’s what was left after she bought a new pair of shoes, got her hair done, two Dr. Peppers, a bus ticket and took her mama out for a real fancy dinner.
Pretty much everything else that happened in the original movie to Forrest happens to Lisa at this point with the following exceptions:
1. Jenny did have a baby, but it of course was not Lisa’s. She got pregnant from one of the many men she was with and did not know who the little boy’s father was.
2. Lisa married Lt. Dan! After spending all that time alone on a shrimp boat it was inevitable. He still got his magic legs.
3. When Jenny died of AIDS, Lisa and Lt. Dan adopt little Forrest. Jenny could never figure out why she named the boy Forrest, but for some reason the name stuck in her head.
Well, that’s my movie. What do you think? Is it a blockbuster like the original? Drop me a line and let me know.